Is anyone else loving chili right now? We are still having a lot of cold days in KC so a good, hearty bowl of chili hits the spot. I know it’s late in the football season but the Super Bowl is this weekend and this would be perfect for your game day meal! Make sure you double up the recipe for yummy leftovers too.
I found the inspiration at primaverakitchen.com and changed it up a bit to suit our tastes. If you’ve read any of my other posts you probably know I love sweet potatoes! I especially love them in this chili for a little sweet to balance out the spices and the acidity. I also love the texture of the sweet potatoes in this chili.
The first time I made this I told my husband there was no way our 9 y/o was going to eat it because he despises anything with bell pepper. Well he loved it, red peppers and all. He will occasionally ask me to make this chili for him. OMG, a total Mom win!
I also wanted to share with you a kitchen gadget that I always use when making this chili to chop up all of the veggies. This isn’t the exact one because my husband probably got it on the “as seen on TV” end cap at the store but it’s close enough (click here). It is quick, easy and the veggies are pretty uniform in size. This chili includes chopped onion, bell pepper, carrot, celery and sweet potato, which can all be done using this tool in a fraction of the time. I love it! #notanad
Ingredients: (serves 4-6)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 to 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves or 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper (or any color combo you like)
- 1 cup diced carrot (about 4-5 medium carrots)
- 1/2 cup diced celery (2 stalks)
- 2 to 2 1/2 cup diced sweet potato
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp good quality BBQ
- 1 can kidney beans (or black beans or a combo of both)
- Heat EVOO in pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for about 3 minutes. Then add garlic and cook 30 more seconds. Add in ground turkey and cook until done.
- Add cooked turkey with onions to crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients, except beans, to slow cooker and stir. Cook on low for 4-6 hours (depends on how much is in there and size of sweet potatoes).
- Add beans and stir. Allow to heat up in slow cooker an additional 10 minutes.
- Enjoy! My favorite toppings are a dab of sour cream, avocado and a few crushed tortilla chips.
It is technically still winter so we are still in soup season and this chili is a great one to have on the list. It is full of veggies and protein and has a slight smoky flavor that is so good. Pair it with some cornbread or just throw a few toppings on and enjoy! Who are you rooting for in the Super Bowl? Or are you there for the food and commercials because why else stay up on a Sunday night?