Energy balls or energy bites or protein balls or whatever you want to call them. These damn delicious little things are the best to have around for a quick snack, sweet treat or to take them on the go instead of a bar.
My son loves all things cinnamon like ice cream, bagels and of course snickerdoodle cookies. So, I used cinnamon for the inspiration for this recipe hoping he would like them. Are all kids this hard to please? Really, I made these for his baseball tournament last weekend and they ended up being a big hit in the dugout. Don’t freak out, I asked about allergies before passing them around.
These bites only require a few steps and they have lots of goodness inside. I used chia seeds, which you can find out more on their nutrition benefits here and they contain dates for a natural sweetener. I made 2 versions, one with protein powder and one without. I use Vega Organic Proteins and Greens powder, which has stevia making the bites have a bit of sweetener aftertaste. Both are good, just a little different.
Cinnamon Energy Bites
- 1 cup pitted dates (about 15)
- 1 cup nuts (I used almonds and cashews)
- 2 T nut butter (I used almond butter)
- 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 2 T chia seeds
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1 t cinnamon plus more for coating
- 1/4-1/2 t sea salt
- coconut sugar for coating
- Add nuts and dates to food processor and pulse until small crumbles.
- Add nut butter, protein powder, chia seeds, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Add water 1 T at a time until ingredients are well blended and forms a paste. I used 4 T water with protein powder and 2-3 T without.
- With wet hands, roll into balls.
- Mix cinnamon with coconut sugar and roll ball in mixture if desired. Just do it!
- Place balls on parchment lined baking sheet or plate and place in refrigerator to set.
- Store in airtight container for 1 week.
I hope you enjoy these little bites as much as we do. Just don’t forget to share =)