So I’m officially obsessed with breakfast foods and coming up with new combos to change up my morning egg routine. Lately the hubs has been making breakfast while I’m at the gym and it’s ready when I get home. Two eggs, 1/2 turkey sausage and 1/2 baked sweet potato. It’s simple, healthy and yummy. No complaints here except it doesn’t give me the chance to experiment as much, or use up all the veggies in my fridge. One day last week he left early for work and left me to fend for myself. I almost whipped up a quick protein shake but after rummaging around in the fridge I decided to go with some kicked up eggs. It was the best breakfast bowl ever and I have made it for dinner twice since. It. is. so. good! My oldest step-son said the other day, “I will never get tired of eating this”! Winner, winner, breakfast bowls for dinner!
What I really want out of my breakfast is that it is real food, nutritious, flavorful and filling. This nailed all 4 of those things! There are so many healthy, tasty ingredients that work really well together so it’s pretty much fail proof. Did you know that bell peppers have some of the highest amounts of vitamin C in food? Vitamin C helps with immune function, collagen production, cellular health, wound healing and helps us better absorb iron. Did you know that your body needs fat? It helps us absorb some vitamins and is needed for brain and organ health. Eat the avocado people…don’t fear the fat! I tend to lean more toward Mexican flavors, and those are typically the things I have in my fridge, but you can always adjust to your tastes and preferences. Here is my breakfast bowl.
- olive oil and/or ghee or butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of chopped veggies (onions, peppers, zucchini, jalapeno)
- spinach, chopped
- sausage of choice (optional)
- brown rice and/or sweet potato
- goat cheese
- Cook or heat sausage (if using) and set aside.
- Wash sweet potato. Poke holes in skin with knife and microwave 4-6 minutes depending on the size. Cook brown rice (if using).
- Heat EVOO in non-stick pan or skillet over medium heat. Add veggies and sauté until desired tenderness. Add cooked sausage and chopped spinach, mix until spinach slightly wilted. Set aside in bowl.
- Using same pan or non-stick pan, heat ghee or butter over medium heat. Cook eggs as desired. I like mine over medium to get a little runny yolk mixed with the other ingredients!
- Assemble bowl. Start with 1/2 baked sweet potato scooped out of the skin. Add brown rice if desired. Top with veggie and sausage mixture. Add eggs. Top eggs with small amount of crumbled goat cheese and 1/4 sliced avocado. Add other toppings as desired. I like green salsa and cilantro.
- Enjoy! Just add mimosas!
There is really no right or wrong way to make this, except my way is usually the best =). Feel free to sub ingredients. This is just how I like to make it. I also like to mix everything up together with the broken egg yolks and it gets really creamy with the goat cheese and avocado. I can’t wait to make this again and I promise to get some better pictures on here next time I do!