Happy 4th of July weekend everyone. Summer is such a time for BBQs, parties and if you are like us, lots of birthdays! Parties are made for eating, drinking and having a great time! I like to bring 1 or 2 healthy side dishes to the party because, well, it’s summer. Today I’m sharing my favorite healthy side dishes that are sure to be crowd pleasers!
Chopped Caprese Salad
I just made this salad recently for a friend get-together and it was so, so good. It is light and flavorful with the fresh taste of basil. It would also be great on top of some grilled chicken.
- 1 container cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on size (or you can chop some yummy local tomatoes)
- 4 to 8oz fresh mozzarella, chopped or use mozzarella pearls
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chiffonade or torn
- 2 T EVOO
- 1-2 T balsamic vinegar
- salt, to taste
- Combine tomatoes, mozzarella and basil in bowl.
- Add EVOO and lightly mix.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Sprinkle with salt.
I love pretty much anything with Mexican spices and cilantro! This coleslaw is really good, ya’ll. I’m linking the recipe here. I used a yogurt ranch dressing instead of the one they recommend. I would imagine this would be fantastic with some avocado as well, because what isn’t?
Again with the avocados! Guacamole is one of our favorite foods and I prefer to keep it all to myself but I’ve been known to share with friends as well. This is roughly my recipe without using a recipe.
- avocados, 2 large or 3-4 small
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeds removed, chopped (optional, but tasty)
- chopped cilantro, about a handful
- juice of 1/2 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop, mix and enjoy…with a tasty marg! If you are using a salty chip, salt in the guac isn’t necessary. I love it because it brings out more of the flavor.
My other favorites to bring to a party are an easy fruit salad or hummus and veggies. Fruit is always a hit, especially if there are kids at the party.
Hope you all have a happy and safe 4th of July full of great food and great memories! Party on!